Sunday, February 3, 2013

Capricious Cory and Her Path to Creative Writing

I may be a writer, or so I'd like to think, but I've never been skilled in writing about myself. I could say that I reside in Marlboro, NJ with my family, four cats and two dogs, and that I enjoy long walks on the beach during sunset, but wouldn't that just be generic? I suppose whenever a reader wants to learn about the writer they're a fan of, they want to see something compelling. Perhaps, that's what I look for when I read about my favorite authors.

So you want to know to my story? I'm 29 years old, immensely sarcastic, and sometimes too brutally honest for my own good. How did I get that way you wonder. Well, I was always different from other kids while I was growing up. I was home schooled till I was in 5th grade. I actually really enjoyed being home schooled by my mother. It was when my father decided my brother and I had to go to Catholic school, that caused the idea of "school" to leave a nasty residue in my mind. Ironically, I still am religious, and later on in my early adult years, I became Born Again Christian. At this point you're thinking I'm some radical religious nut that insists everyone share my beliefs and outlook on life. Wrong! I'm actually a "true" Christian, and I try not to judge people, and accept that I am who I am, and everyone else are who they chose to be.

After my first year in Catholic school, I was offered to become a nun and it would be completely paid for. That meant the end of my quest to find Prince Charming, (still a work in progress). Come 7th grade I was thrust into public school. What a reality check! I had short hair, because I hated trying to maintain it and I wore the clothes I felt comfortable in ie: t-shirt and jeans. Apparently, this was all wrong according to my classmates, and so the bullying commenced. Eventually my parents divorced, which caused my mother to work 2-3 jobs to support my brother, younger sister, and myself, as well as our 3 dogs and 1 cat at the time. I went to a school counselor because like all kids that age, you automatically think it's your fault. Soon enough my brother moved in with my father, and we lost our pets and the house that was in our family for generations.

My mom remarried and that was almost 12 years ago. After attending three high schools, and overcoming bullies, I graduated from Marlboro High School, but I decided I was going to take some time off before entering college. In 2004 I tried my hand at Brookdale Community College and come 2012 I had an A.A degree in Liberal Arts, and one in Creative Writing. Through serious research, and soul searching I decided my passion was always writing and enrolled at Southern New Hampshire. I will finally hold a B.A degree in Creative Writing next spring!

Throughout the years I've dabbled in preschool teaching, acting, directing, and even volunteer firefighting and wild land forest firefighting. I wrote for my community college's newspaper, and followed through with my journalism when I wrote for "Examiner" and "Living in Media." My writing consists of science fiction and fantasy novels, screenplays, and some poetry. I'm currently working on several writing projects, as well as a comedy script.

I'm sure any person would wonder how I got through it all, or why I didn't let it tear me to shreds. I chose to take my experiences and learn from them, not let them get me down. I've lived through a lot, as many people have, but it's what we choose to do with our life rather than let it happen that makes all the difference.

If any of this raises questions, or you just want to know more, please comment and I would be happy to respond.

1 comment:

  1. Take it from a lapsed Catholic: you are doing just fine:-) Loved the post, Cory!

    ReplyDelete