This year I didn't know who was playing in the super bowl until the game started. I just wanted to see the commercials in between the hairy beasts tackling one another. Usually there are the commercials that make me crack up, while others make me shake my head in wonder. This time it was a mixture of laughter and wanting to vomit. Here are my top three:
The Go Daddy one really made me want to run for the hills. Two people making out is disgusting to watch on it's own, but this was in a whole other category. Super model Bar Refaeli, whom men drool over is sitting next to a very nerdy looking guy. Supposedly Bar is suppose to represent the sexy side and the guy is the smart side. Either way, I knew it was going to end badly. Go Daddy tries to make us think that what they offer is sexy and smart like combining the super model and the nerdy guy. Their on screen kiss is enough to make the devil blush, especially when they zoom in. I was stuck between laughing and gagging.
Speaking of stuck, Hyundai's "Stuck" commercial features a couple in their new Hyundai, and they have to pass other odd drivers on the road. The best part was the heavyset biker with his plumbers crack showing. He blows a kiss to the female in the car as they pass by, which tickled my funny bone enough to snap a photo and prank my best friend. I told her I saw this guy on the road today and when he asked for my number, I gave him hers instead. You only live once, so why not live on the edge?
Taco Bell understands that concept and that was their focus in their ad. I wasn't sure what I was watching until the old man jumped out of his bed in the retirement home and met his buddies who were waiting outside. The group of oldies sneak into someones yard and goes swimming, light fire crackers at sleeping people's homes, getting tattoos, hooking up in nightclub bathrooms, and one of the old men pulls up his shirt and rubs his chest against a diner window while people are eating. All of that going on while "We are Young," is played in Spanish throughout the commercial. In the end when the cops drive by and see them eating tacos by their car outside a Taco Bell, they just drive by and disregard them as disturbing the peace. This ad left me shocked, but hysterical. We all think older people have no sense of adventure or just don't have it in them anymore, but that part of being a crazy kid never leave us in old age.
Kudos to the companies that produced ads this year that will make me laugh for ages. It's truly an inspiration to see creative minds come together and develop even a 30 second ad that can entertain the public. It shows me there is hope as a writer to be able to produce something comedic.
No comments:
Post a Comment